The Donaldson Trust has been located in Linlithgow since the new building opened in 2008. However, The Trust’s journey began more than a century before this…
Originally situated in the heart of Edinburgh’s west end, the original Donaldson’s building was designed by William Playfair funded with money from the estate of James Donaldson, the Printer.
Once this magnificent building was complete it opened in 1850 as a hospital for destitute and vulnerable children. In 1856 it was agreed by the governors that deaf children should not be excluded and subsequently Donaldson’s developed into a resource predominately for children who were deaf, although hearing children were always accepted. The use of British Sign Language has always been promoted at Donaldson’s.
Donaldson’s has only changed usage once in its history when during the Second World War it became the 20th prisoner of war camp in Edinburgh and the school housed both German and Italian prisoners!
Donaldson’s has a very long and proud history and we have retained historical significant records and artefacts.
For more information on Donaldson’s history you can download a document on Donaldson’s History.
For any historical information on past pupils who attended Donaldson’s please contact the National Library of Scotland and/ or the National Archives of Scotland.